of the boat, laid down by Puget Sound Navy Yard, began
in March of 1957 and was completed in November of 1958.
King was officially commissioned November 17th, 1960,
however she was launched a year earlier on December 6th,
1958. The ship was named in honor of the late Fleet Admiral Ernest
Built as a Farragut-Class
Destroyer, She had a displacement of 5648 tons
when full. Her dimensions were 512'6" (oa) x 52' 4" x
17'9" (max) and she was equipped with an armament of
a 1x 5" /54 RF, Single Terrier Surface to Air missile
system and a single ASROC Anti-Submarine Warfare System.
Her machinery, 85,000
SHP powered by twin geared turbines was guided by two screws,
which allowed a maximum speed of 33 knots, or a range of
5000 nautical miles at 20 knots. She could accommadate a
crew of 360 Sailors.
was reclassified as a Guided Missile Frigate DLG -10 on November
and again as a Guided Missile Destroyer DDG-41 on June 30,
1975. Where is the USS King now?
images and information on this site are copyrighted.
Reproduction of any sort is prohibited without express written consent.
USS King (DLG-10/DDG-41) Association herein after referred to
as Association, hereby disclaims all responsibility for any and
all claims arising from
misrepresentation by others of intellectual property found on this
site. All trademarks and servicemarks are the property of their
respective owners. Thank
you for respecting the rights of copyright holders and of the